Home

ello' guv'nor! Put the crap in the trunk!

Taak Farst

Cuz they don't count, right? :p

Speaking to folks from across the pond leaves little to no difficulty. Biggest problem I ever had with a UK resident was realizing when he said 'biscuit' he meant 'cookie.' >.>

If it hasn't been noticed yet, I also adopt the English grammatical rule of placing punctuation inside quotation marks because I think the American rule of putting it outside neither is intelligent nor makes any sense.

"Whatever," he said with "orange pineapple wit". WHY WOULD YOU PUT IT OUTSIDE?! Urg.

First person who can describe 'orange pineapple wit' gets a cookie. Er, biscuit?

I'm an American, Northern Idaho Spud to be exact! XP

I usually put ax as axe (Even though thats after your post...) and I put the punctuation in the inside... unless I put the speaker 'says' or 'yells' first. So!

Examples:

"Have you grabbed the jelly?" said the cow.

A giant uttered, brown cow stared and replied,"What jelly?"

Suddenly, Godzilla popped out of nowhere and started dancing! The huge lizard smiled and cheered,"HOORAY!"

Yeah. So...guess that makes me a redneck?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course they do, but Canadians sound pretty similar to Americans, just a bit slower, and with a slightly different pronunciation of certain words 'Aboot' comes to mind. (no offence intended to any Canadians, of course).

There is no one Canadian accent for the whole country, here in B.C. we talk just as fast as Americans and only say 'aboot' (and 'eh') when imitating the stereotypical Canadian. Most of the stereotypes actually come from the way the maritimers and the First Nations talk, and even then it's grossly exaggerated.

mwaha! i can do both accents!

and im not from either of em!

including the one in the thread title!

but i have to say, the accent i cant understand the most is the 'coronation street' type... *and all the US people scratch their heads*

another thing is how americans cant seem to understand anything but an american accent. ive had situations when i had to speak in a US accent to make the US guy understand that my friend's name is not 'jerk' but 'jack'.

G'day mate, how about we throw another shrimp on the barby?

We don't speak like that damnit!! :xp:

I don't know about you yanks, but us Aussies, we like to turn the "er" on the end of words like "summer" into an "a".

I have a Canadian music teacher, who is here on a working Visa, and he has the best accent, and his Aussie impersonation is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

These are my favourites:

ROOT:

ENG(UK): The base of a plant

ENG(US): To support a particular team/individual

ENG(AUS): To have sexual intercourse

FANNY

ENG(UK): A quaint, old fashioned female name

ENG(US}: backside

ENG(AUS): female genitalia

Wanker

ENG(UK): someone from ENG(US)

ENG(US): like, huh?

ENG(AUS): someone from ENG(US)

:p

mtfbwya

When i went Vegas some guy asked me if i was training to be an EMT. Had no idea what the hell he meant at first. Although i was thinking Emergency Medical Hologram so i knew it was somewhere along those lines. Had to keep correcting myself with Lift/Elevator although i kept saying Escalator which just kibbled the whole conversation altogether. Other than that, anyone who asked what England was like compared to America, i just told them we are crap and we might as well be the next state.

ENG: Ape ****= Going crazy, getting really angry/exited about something.

USA: Ape ****= any member of the Hominoidea super family of primates' faeces

LMAO.

That somehow reminded me of this:

Whack-Job

ENG(US): Mentally deranged

ENG(UK/AUS): Denoting masturbation

Also, one thing that seems to be missing from US English is rhyming slang. UK/OZ English(Londoners) have it. As for its etymology, one of the more popular theories was that it originated as a form of code language used by criminals to confuse the Bobbies ;)

mtfbwya

FANNY

ENG(UK): A quaint, old fashioned female name

ENG(US}: backside

ENG(AUS): female genitalia

Well I hate to spoil your image of our prim and proper society, but I'm afraid 'fanny' means female genitalia here now too. Words with double meanings that have sexual connotations now lean sharply to the sexual side, for instance the word 'pussy' used to mean cat with a slight hint of genitalia, now it means genitalia with a slight hint of cat. ;) Oh how times have changed. :p

for instance the word 'pussy' used to mean cat with a slight hint of genitalia, now it means genitalia with a slight hint of cat. ;) Oh how times have changed. :p

Further reinforced by Mrs. Slocombe from Are You Being Served?, I might add. :xp:

Well I hate to spoil your image of our prim and proper society, but I'm afraid 'fanny' means female genitalia here now too.

lolz I didnt know that.

Most of my knowledge of Londoner Linguistics comes from "The Bill". They havent said it on that yet... but they have said "TWAT" many a time.

TWAT.PRAT.GIT.TOERAG.MUPPET These are the only 5 words you need to know to be able to fully integrate into the London Criminal Underworld. Or, so you would think if you watched "The Bill" at least :D

mtfbwya

Archived