Home

So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

Inspired by the "What are you listening to right now?" thread, let's see what people are up to in the world of letters. Anything and everything welcome, from interesting essays by Orwell to epic poems by Milton to Glamour magazine. :)

I'm making my way through Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby at the moment with an edition which uses font so small that it makes your eyes bleed as much as the brain does as Dickens' sentences, not distastefully but rather untastefully with a dash of that power which few men are instilled with in Barsetshire Street, wind on for great length, as they make it clear that their creator, educated by the people and most certainly a man of the people, despite his flaws, was paid by the word. :xp:

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inspired by the "What are you listening to right now?" thread, let's see what people are up to in the world of letters.

Great Idea! I've tried reading Dickens, but i've never been able to get very far into any of the ones i've tried so far.

I'm currently reading Man of Honour, by Iain Gale (hardback, with LARGE print). It's about a young Lieutenant in The War of the Spanish Succession who is given a mission by the Duke of Marlborough that, if unsuccessful, could destroy both him and his army.

I'm not sure if I like it to be honest. It's fairly wooden, and while reasonably accurate, some errors are unforgivable for a writer of military fiction (it references the Land Pattern Musket, for instance, which wasn't invented until the 1720s, and this set before the Battle of Blenheim, in 1704).

Other than that, it's a reasonable read. But I think i'll stick to Cornwell in future.

I'm working on Ender's Game. from what I've read, I want to read the sequels.

Damn straight, there are 9 other books and a collection of short stories. Get on it.

I'm not reading much, as I've been a bit busy lately... at the end of January I finished my second read through of the new book, Ender in Exile and then I read the Phelps book, No Limits.

_EW_

I'm reading "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. The books were recommended to me by Jae who is reading them now because of Jimbo, AKA THE Point Man.

Currently, I'm on the second book of the series, "Stone of Tears." They're pretty good, but I'm still at an early point in the series.

I'm also reading "The Noble Dead Saga," by Barb and J.C. Hendee, having just read the latest of the series and waiting for January of 2010 for the next one. They are awesome books and I recommend them to anyone who is a fan of dark fantasy and Vampires.

Anyone here read Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth? Hands down the best book I've ever read, easy. I highly recommend it to all of you.

It takes place in the 11th century, and tells the story of the construction of a Cathedral in the small, backwater village of Kingsbridge. The story is told from the points of view of three different people: Tom Builder, a talented but empoverished stonemason who dreams of building a cathedral; Philip of Kingsbridge, a Welsh monk who's lived his life in monasterial care and has a desperate passion to reform the Church; and Lady Aliena, the daughter of a disgraced Earl who swore an oath to her dying father to restore the family honour.

It has a more recent sequel, World Without End, which is equally as awesome. It takes place during the beginning on the Hundred Years War, as well as the first waves of the Black Death.

EDIT: Beat you to it, Adavardes. :xp:

I'm currently reading World Without End, by Ken Follet, which is a sequel to the book Pillars of the Earth. A relatively unknown book series for most, which really is a crime, as the plots are complex, the characters dynamic, dimensional, and realistic, and the immersion superior to any book I've read thus far, and I've read a LOT of books.

EDIT: DOC, GET OUTTA MAH HEAD

1984, its the 2nd time Ive had to read it for school, 4th overall, Im mostly just skimming it since Im also reading a few other books

Demon in the Closet: a book mostly about smallpox, also partially about biological warfare, its probably one of the scariest books I've ever read

Also reading Brave New World, very slowly, its pretty good although since I dont have to finish it until may I'm reading it pretty slowly.

The Millennium, by Upton Sinclair. It was one of his more obscure and unnoticed novels that he wrote after the tragedy which ended his experimental utopia, Helicon Hall. It's essentially a satire of caste systems, social evolution, and extreme capitalism. It's a nice read, albeit short and not to thought-provoking, but it's still nice.

Ah yes, a most excellent novel. I recommend reading Animal Farm, another novel by Orwell, which was essentially a satire of WWII-era political figures and ideals.

Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy and Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. Enjoying both so far.

Funnily enough I just gave that too an Indian friend of mine, in the north :) Was a mission getting it to him!

Though I'm not far in, this is a most excellent book.

It's a brilliant book :)

Archived