Home

Proposing..

Kyvios

@Ray--even we've had rough patches in our marriage and a couple times seriously thought about divorce, but decided to work it out because we both had given our word to each other and God. We came through it. If we hadn't been married, we might have walked away and it would not have been good for our kids or us.

Marriage isn't about the wedding day, even though that rite of passage is important. Too many people poo-poo it, but it's important for the couple to make the commitment to each other in a serious setting in front of the community, and if they're people of faith, God. A committed relationship isn't something you jump into and say "Oh, let's try this out for awhile and see how it works", something I see all too commonly in people who choose to simply live together. Those kinds of relationships fall apart even more often than marriages do. Yes, there are obviously going to be exceptions to that, I'm talking in generalities.

The wedding is also an important time for the community to come together to show their support for the couple emotionally and to a certain extent financially. The new couple needs guidance, because a good marriage doesn't just happen. A good marriage takes work, but like anything, the benefits to both far outweigh the problems. The couple needs the support and advice from their families and community to make it work well. Making the public commitment shows the world they're serious about making their relationship work, and I think the community responds to that.

Kyvios, whatever you do, do something both of you will enjoy. Do something extra-special. Do something that will have a great deal of meaning to both of you. Both of you will remember that moment forever. I still see the special dinner at a nice restaurant overlooking a lake, beautiful September evening, we're both dressed nicely, Point Man getting down on one knee in front of a packed restaurant. I can hear a lady in the background saying "Oh, look at that--will she say yes?" and their table of 10 clapping when Point Man slipped the ring on my finger and we kissed. It's been over 19 years now since he proposed (I was the tender age of 10, of course, in keeping with my permanent 29-ness), and I still see, hear, feel, smell, taste, every moment.

I wish you well in whatever you do and hope it works out wonderfully for both of you.

There really isn't much to say from me that hasn't already been said. Jae's and J7's advice is pretty good. Romantic evening, (what some people would call 'perfect') at the end of it, get on your knee, and ask.

(I was the tender age of 10, of course, in keeping with my permanent 29-ness)

You gotta get them young.

Spoken like true jaded men.

Well, I was raised in a home with four older sisters and with a manipulative control-freak for a mother, so I guess that in my case your analysis is correct. :p

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate it.

I'm going to wait till winter passes, or when me and her actually get time off (which might be close to never at this rate). And A dinner I don't have to cook for once actually sounds nice, lol.

I guarantee you if you take her out to dinner--at a nice place-- go to the restroom and come back naked wearing the ring on your little Kyvios and stand on the table so she can pull it* off in front of the whole restaurant and ask her to marry you, you will make quite the impression. :)

*The ring or the body part? You decide!

At least I didn't tell him not to do it. o_Q

My dad took my mom out to dinner when he proposed but before that, he played the traditional Mexican boy of going to my mom's father and asking permission. That isn't a bad thing considering that if you want a successful marriage that includes getting along with the potential in-laws.

Of course you could go Mickey Blue Eyes and go to a chinese restraunt and put the proposal in a fortune cookie. No matter how you do it, it has to be unique and special for the both of you.

Getting along with your in laws is a definitely a good idea.

What you could do, is let your parents, and your in laws know what you're going to do before hand, and then you take your girlfriend out to dinner (with your in laws and your own parents) to a restraunt, then propose in front of everyone.. :D

TSR, you're such a little snot for saying I've been married like 40 years. ;P

It was too easy to be proud of I'll admit. And you love me for saying things like this, you know you do.

With attitudes like that, none of you will ever have marriages or even committed relationships.

*Phew*

Seriously, they cost too much. My ex sponged over £2000 from me in my last relationship. Considering i was only with her for a month, thats some bad voodoo.

Stick to the clubs and wrong mobile numbers boyo.

@Ray--even we've had rough patches in our marriage and a couple times seriously thought about divorce, but decided to work it out because we both had given our word to each other and God. We came through it. If we hadn't been married, we might have walked away and it would not have been good for our kids or us.
As you have said, might. Some might have walked different ways if they had been married. Sometimes marriage is the reason to stay together until a point is reached where there's nothing to come through any more. I have not given my word to anyone and came through some hard times as well.

Marriage isn't about the wedding day, even though that rite of passage is important. Too many people poo-poo it, but it's important for the couple to make the commitment to each other in a serious setting in front of the community, and if they're people of faith, God. A committed relationship isn't something you jump into and say "Oh, let's try this out for awhile and see how it works", something I see all too commonly in people who choose to simply live together. Those kinds of relationships fall apart even more often than marriages do. Yes, there are obviously going to be exceptions to that, I'm talking in generalities.
Well, that depends, because from a certain aspect, marriage is nothing else but to "try if it works", that's why there's divorce in the first place.

The wedding is also an important time for the community to come together to show their support for the couple emotionally and to a certain extent financially. The new couple needs guidance, because a good marriage doesn't just happen. A good marriage takes work, but like anything, the benefits to both far outweigh the problems. The couple needs the support and advice from their families and community to make it work well. Making the public commitment shows the world they're serious about making their relationship work, and I think the community responds to that.
A good relationship, commited or not, doesn't just happen in general, you know. And I get advice, support, and all that jazz from my family without being married. Sometimes it just seems to me that people put way too much emphasis on the marriage like it's some kind of bling to boast your ego with, instead into the relationship, that's my point.

Try asking relatives or her best friends what she might like. If you know she'll find out if you ask them, then perhaps you can make it to where by her finding out she will freak out in a good way.

That's the best I can come up with as the only time I ever dealt with a proposal is when my girlfriend proposed to me. Suffice to say I was shocked, but happy, as I could never get the Chutzpah to propose to her.

Archived