Home

Dad teaches his toddler to speak Klingon

Jae Onasi

As read in this article about a company creating a Klingon dictionary for their translation programs:

A man spoke only Klingon to his son for the first 3 years of his life to discover if his son would learn it. Apparently his son started to pick it up.

However, "As for Speers, who still gets nostalgic when he recalls singing the Klingon lullaby “May the Empire Endure” with his son at bedtime, the experiment was a dud. His son is now in high school and doesn’t speak a word of Klingon."

Dad says he's not a big Star Trek fan. Right.

Well, it probably has the same effect as learning Esperanto, so it's not that useless. :p

Actually I think more people actually speak Klingon than Esperanto haha.

I think the reason it failed was the language wasn't reinforced. Like in my case, when I was a toddler I spoke Japanese quite a bit. but as I grew up I only spoke English in the house, and learned only English in school. Now I can barely speak ANY Japanese. Had the kid grown up always speaking both languages he COULD feasably have been able to actually speak it fluently. Of course that skill is only useful in conventions and MAYBE an acting career... in Star Trek films.

We should just give them an island where all "Klingons" can go. Make it like a theme park. Just make sure they are kept behind the electric fences.

Why couldn't he teach a more usefull language?

I mean, in a certain way his father wasn't on a wrong track. Teaching your kid a second language from a young age, isn't bad at all.

Of course, Klingon would prove this made up language is as good as any language, which kind of proof this made up universe isn't just pure bullocks. Of some kind... don't know for sure, if it really would have point to learn your kid a made up language... :confused:

Well at least the kid didn't get abused badly.

Are you sure teaching a kid a language spoken only by fat people is a good way to build self esteem?

Throws Star wars Books and Comics at Hallucination in disgust!

Most people in the outer rim, Bounty Hunters and gangsters and certain other races speak Huttese as lingua franca, Notably Boba Fett.

Meh...every child <age of 4/5 can learn any language fluently.

If you put an American baby in a Chinese family, it'll imitate the Chinese sounds it hears, which form the basis for a language. It'll learn Chinese. However, it won't hear English sounds ánd won't learn English.

Many parents think their child says 'Dada' or 'Mama' but they're simply replying/practicing the 'A' sound. Sounds that they don't hear, won't be remembered. The sounds that they hear form the basis for their T1 language.

Some parents over here deliberately speak English AND Dutch to their children. That way the baby will be 'programmed' for both so to speak.

There are international schools over here, teaching both languages.

There's a lobby here going on about teaching some basic English to children in this 'Language sensitive' period.

Anyways, away with the theories. Just pointing out you can seriously teach your child EVERY language you want if you want it.

Although I doubt Klingon will stand good on your CV.

"What stands you apart from the other candidates for the position?"

*Enraged battle cry*

"Right..."

i can still learn any language fluently because i refuse to mature mentally or emotionally i just absorb languages like a sponge and my manic episodes and childlike disposition squeeze it all into bowl and decanter it into something i like to call englispaniportuitaliafrenjapman.

so which one of you wants to throw on a red, white and blue french maid outfit and some geisha makeup and look pretty while i make us some spaghetti and sweet bread before we cuddle and watch soap operas on telemundo? this is a limited time offer and i am a master chef/cuddler

i can still learn any language fluently because i refuse to mature mentally or emotionally i just absorb languages like a sponge and my manic episodes and childlike disposition squeeze it all into bowl and decanter it into something i like to call englispaniportuitaliafrenjapman.

so which one of you wants to throw on a red, white and blue french maid outfit and some geisha makeup and look pretty while i make us some spaghetti and sweet bread before we cuddle and watch soap operas on telemundo? this is a limited time offer and i am a master chef/cuddler

You should join my psychology class...on the subject side :p

Archived