Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

I'm just gonna wait and see and hope that whatever comes out of it is no worse, and preferably better, than the prequels. Also hope that NJO is ignored. Never really cared for it. If they gotta go with any of the novels down the road.....Thrawn. If they wanted to do live action stuff, the X-Wing series was pretty good.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because one is a division of the other. Whilst they may be separate entities legally speaking, it's not like LA has ever been completely independent and free to do what it wishes. Thus they are functionally one and the same, as far as broad decisions go (i.e. canon, marketing focus, etc.).

I'm not arguing that. It's just that many people say LucasArts when referring to Lucasfilm.

No matter what happens to Star Wars and everything else related to LucasFilm... at least this happened: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947

Amen to that.

I'm a little concerned that they aren't going to approach the force with the same careful curiosity that LA has. But then again, I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.

Amen to that.

I'm a little concerned that they aren't going to approach the force with the same careful curiosity that LA has. But then again, I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.

What "careful curiosity"? Unless you're referring to the mystique that surrounded it in the OT, there's no careful approach to the Force. Ever since the prequels, the Force has been shrouded in a dull, monochromatic veil. Very few have tried to show any shades between the black and white, but they generally go unnoticed or are ridiculed for other reasons.

I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.

$4 billion dollars....Figure tells me that Lucas was pretty business savvy himself.

I am for Lucas being a consultant as long as that doesn't include dialogue writer.

It's really funny.

*Star Wars released*

SW-fans: Yay!

George: Let me just change this.

SW-fans: Greedo shot first!

George: Have some prequel movies

SW-fans: OMG! So horrible! We hate you. You kill my childhood

George: Let me alter the DVDs and Blurays

SW-fans: Someone get George away from our Star Wars

*George sells SW to Disney*

SW-fans: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo, not George. We need him for Star Wars!

:rolleyes:

It's really funny.

*Star Wars released*

SW-fans: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo, not George. We need him for Star Wars!

I think that just about sums it up for most

It's really funny.

Generalizing much?

P.S: If "SW-fans" thought the prequels to be "so horrible", why were they such a success?

Generalizing much?

P.S: If "SW-fans" thought the prequels to be "so horrible", why were they such a success?

Because they were like watching a train wreck.

While I certainly wanted to, and I regret not being able to, I just couldn't look away.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

It's really funny.

*Star Wars released*

Many people held onto the idea that George needs to step back and let other qualified people within LucasFilm step up... no one thought that George would step that far back and then sell LucasFilm, turning it into a division of Disney.

Kind of like BioWare becoming yet another division of EA. A lot of people didn't like that... they just want the lesser of two evils... which is George Lucas at the helm.

$4 billion dollars....Figure tells me that Lucas was pretty business savvy himself.
Really? Disney bought Pixar for 7.4 billion 6 years ago. Yet for 4 billion they get all of Lucasfilm which includes their IP (Star Wars and Indiana Jones being the major ones), ILM which does FX for half of Hollywood, Skywalker Sound which probably does sound post-processing for 3/4 of Hollywood, LucasArts (which admittedly hasn't met its potential in a long time, but has a vast back catalogue of properties), Lucas Animation which is doing Clone Wars (and potentially other stuff) and Lucas Licensing which has merchandising and licensing deals worth a pretty penny. Additionally there is THX and a few other spin-offs, which I think Lucas may still have a controlling interest in, if not own outright, although I'm unsure if they are included in the deal.

That lot looks like a pretty good bargain for Disney. So that says to me that Lucas, far from being a savvy businessman, was simply interested in getting out, and was willing to give the lot away for a relative song.

It's really funny.

*Star Wars released*

Have to disagree with you on the last bit, I wanted Star Wars to be left alone. Maybe it was naive of me to think the movies were over with the prequels...

The Only thing I've ever disagreed with is the Clone Wars, as I feel its over-saturated a very short period in galactic History. I'm a big EU fan , and I read all the Books and Comics, but I will happily push them aside for another trilogy... I've been waiting for Episode 7 since 1983. Very Happy fan here.

Because fanbases, despite their vastly over-inflated sense of their own importance, don't represent the majority of cinema-goers/TV-watchers/book-readers/radio-listeners/theatre-goers/&c.

The point is that the prequels are one of the reasons for why the fanbase is as big and active as it is today. They were a success specially among fandom. Just because those who liked it don't feel the need to show it on every corner of the internet, doesn't mean they don't exist. At the same time, just because those who didn't like them are so vocal, doesn't mean they are the majority.

Archived