Home

Leaving Massachusetts - USA

The Source

Without getting into an exact location, I live in the birthplace of the United States. As a matter of fact, my family use to live in the house of John Quincy Adams. Thoughout the past decade, Massachusetts has become a hard place to live in. High Property Taxes, High Priced Houses, Lack of Jobs, Over Population. This state as an interesting ratio where there are way more people than jobs.

Does anyone know of a great state to live in, which has all the perks to life. Good economy, taxes, etc...?

Whew, that's just so hard to answer, because it's highly dependent on what _you_ think is important. At this point in our lives, it's important to us to live in a town with a good school system, for instance, and that's not going to apply to everyone.

I would look to see where the graphic design jobs are first and decide from there.

Tennessee was a nice surprise for me (coming from Michigan).

Decent weather, nice people, GREAT college football & tailgate parties (go Vols) :D

Though I'm not sure how 'fast paced' a life you're wanting as far as graphic design goes (magazines = hectic / TV = mediocre pace, but tons of work). TN has a good mixture of urban and city life... and more StarBucks than I can curse in my lifetime :fist:

But hey, we do have iHops & Waffle Houses :emodanc:

Surprisingly enough, Nashville & Knoxville are HIGH traffic media venues and much of all national broadcasted material at one time will pass through here (that really shocked me). Media venues are always looking for graphic artists, freelance or full-time. JTV (where I work) outsources alot even though we have a graphics dept. simply because of the workload.

Depends really on what you're looking for.. but from one Yankee to another.. the South isn't what people make it to be. Trust me.. I know bigger rednecks in Michigan :lol: I don't think I could bring myself to move back up North unless there was a hella-good reason to do so ;)

I've personally found that Colorado is one hell of a place to live. A little too conservative for my tastes most of the time, but there are very liberal towns (Boulder). There are small farming communities to live in if you don't feel like the city, but Denver is a great town to live in. Housing is reasonable, taxes are quite bearable.

And I've been told my many that few places are as beautiful as Colorado.

I would look to see where the graphic design jobs are first and decide from there.

Jae already gave you the best advice. Find a job that will make you happy and I’m sure the rest will fall in line.

This is a subject I’m not very humble about. If you want to live in a state with no state income tax think Texas. Property not overly expensive, but in the area I want to live in is (Austin, but still not in the range of California, Massachusetts or New York.). The economy is usually pretty stable and you can enjoy the great outdoors year round. Austin also has a great night life and promotes its self as the Live Music Capital of the World.

For your area of expertise Austin, Dallas or Houston would be your most likely destinations in Texas.

I live on the coast south of Houston and I DO NOT recommend this area. Two things make me say that hurricanes and mosquitoes. Another problem with Texas is the lack of mass transit. I solved that problem by living close to work (on the same block). Another negative, for someone from your area, is there is almost no change of season in Texas. The summers are hot, but the winters are reasonable. I enjoy spending time outdoors so this is perfect for me.

I wish you the best of luck no matter where you end up.

I am looking towards California and New York. I know they are as established as Mass, but they have more graphic design opportunities. I will be traveling in 2008 to get a better feeling for these locations. Right after I graduate, I will be looking around extensively. I am worried about California's smog problem, so a visit there will be a smart move. New York is the next state over. Since I live on the eastern-side of Mass, New York will still be a big change for me.

Jae does have good points, so I will have to think about what I want to accomplish. Grrr... All I know is that I am not staying here. When I got my first job in Graphic Design, it took me about two years to find it. I also had an Associates Degree. I am hoping that a Bach. Degree will boost my market value. Lol...

Not Michigan. Terrible economy, terrible weather, it seems like Michigan has the worst of everything. Not that I'm not happy living here, I just wouldn't recommend you move here. Although, I believe Oakland county, the county I live in, is the 3rd richest county in the US.

If I could live anywhere in the US it would probably be New York.

I'd second Colorado, Boulder especially. Over 300 days of sunshine a year, very bearable taxes, some of the best skiing in the country, the only real mountains in the lower 48(excluding about....3 in California), no smog, at least nothing approaching Cali-level, and crime's not too bad either.

Although I suppose while where you live is secondary to where the jobs are, Colorado is the best place I've lived in. We moved here from California because my family could not stand the smog, crime, people, earthquake possibility(I've lived through the bad one in 1989 i think. Don't remember it, but all the same.), etc... Boulder, and to a larger extent, the metro Denver area has one of the best and highest lauded public transportation systems in the west/country(RTD), and very good universities. CU FTW!

Plus you can wear sandals all year round, including in snowstorms. Although that may just be my own brand of insanity. Call me biased, but I love this place.

Commander Obi-Wan beat me to it. Come up here. As long as you don't bad-mouth our TV shows, we'll let you stay. :xp:

I don't know much about the US as far as great places to live are concerned, but I think for someone in the job area you work in, New York would be a great place. Just stay out of gang infested areas.

This is a subject I’m not very humble about. If you want to live in a state with no state income tax think Texas. Property not overly expensive, but in the area I want to live in is (Austin, but still not in the range of California, Massachusetts or New York.). The economy is usually pretty stable and you can enjoy the great outdoors year round. Austin also has a great night life and promotes its self as the Live Music Capital of the World.

For your area of expertise Austin, Dallas or Houston would be your most likely destinations in Texas.

I live on the coast south of Houston and I DO NOT recommend this area. Two things make me say that hurricanes and mosquitoes. Another problem with Texas is the lack of mass transit. I solved that problem by living close to work (on the same block). Another negative, for someone from your area, is there is almost no change of season in Texas. The summers are hot, but the winters are reasonable. I enjoy spending time outdoors so this is perfect for me.

x2. I live nearby Austin and it's pretty nice. Austin also has a bunch of tech related jobs, which may be good. The weather is nice when you aren't dying of thirst, being frozen to death, or being sucked into a tornado. Es pretty good. Austin is getting a bit crowded though, especially with traffic problems, so it would probably be better to go somewhere around it like Round Rock, etc.

MacCorp: If you are looking at California, the best place would be to look inland away from the coast. Though housing is sky high here in ghettoville which for me is in between the desert and the coast, it is considerably cheaper than a place in say Oceanside or San Diego. The smog is a real problem in big city areas like LA but if you live where you get seasonal or year round string winds, you should be good. They blow the crap in the air away. When the Santa Ana winds blow through San Bernardino and the IE, we get a few good to moderate days afterwards. Like what Jae and minimartin said, consider what you want in graphic arts and design. Check the publishing companies and the like. As much as I hate to say an old cliche but I will: the world is your oyster.

MacCorp: If you are looking at California, the best place would be to look inland away from the coast. Though housing is sky high here in ghettoville which for me is in between the desert and the coast, it is considerably cheaper than a place in say Oceanside or San Diego. The smog is a real problem in big city areas like LA but if you live where you get seasonal or year round string winds, you should be good. They blow the crap in the air away. When the Santa Ana winds blow through San Bernardino and the IE, we get a few good to moderate days afterwards. Like what Jae and minimartin said, consider what you want in graphic arts and design. Check the publishing companies and the like. As much as I hate to say an old cliche but I will: the world is your oyster.

I agree with JediMaster12 on this one. California is a great place to live and is especially nice more inland. I do have one suggestion though. Look for places around the Sacramento area as around there they have new developing communities with houses going up all over the place so you could probly get a great deal on a very nice home. Also the great fact about living in California is Reno, Las Vegas, Millions of skiing restorts, and warm beachs are all a couple hours away. So that is definatly something to think about.;)

I agree with JediMaster12 on this one. California is a great place to live and is especially nice more inland. I do have one suggestion though. Look for places around the Sacramento area as around there they have new developing communities with houses going up all over the place so you could probly get a great deal on a very nice home. Also the great fact about living in California is Reno, Las Vegas, Millions of skiing restorts, and warm beachs are all a couple hours away. So that is definatly something to think about.;)

Don't forget Ventura, I hear the surf is awesome there..

Without getting into an exact location, I live in the birthplace of the United States. As a matter of fact, my family use to live in the house of John Quincy Adams. Thoughout the past decade, Massachusetts has become a hard place to live in. High Property Taxes, High Priced Houses, Lack of Jobs, Over Population. This state as an interesting ratio where there are way more people than jobs.

Does anyone know of a great state to live in, which has all the perks to life. Good economy, taxes, etc...?

Not sure I can help you... I already live in Quincy, MA. :dozey:

But... When I was on the road the towns I fell in love with were:

Austin, Texas

San Fransisco, CA.

Seattle, Washington

San Diego, CA.

If I had to leave this area for whatever reason, those would be the first places I would look within the states.

Or maybe Alaska... if you are the rugged, adventurous, individualist type.

Hawaii, if you are not.

My girlfriend is a production artist. We are hoping to move somewhere, which will allow us to start off right. We will be visiting California at years end. In Fabruary 2008, we will be in New York. I think we will get a better idea if we were to visit these places. Lol... Think, think, think...

England or Ireland. Even though they are not in the US they are great places to live especially Ireland.

Ha! For England, taxes are going to skyrocket under Brown, my friend, geopolitcally we're going nowhere, our economy sits on a knife-edge and anything government-funded is piss-poor.

As for Ireland, it's notoriously expensive to live there.

And of course, there's the rain.

OTOH, Poland looks set to take off in a few years.

Archived