Home

Brilliant books

Arcesious

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not reading as many books as I should be, but I finished The Man Who Was Thursday a month ago and loved every bit of it. Before that I read Brave New World and that was quite brilliant.

Before that I read The Difference Engine, the definitive steampunk novel. While its not the greatest tome I've read, it was very fascinating and unique in its aesthetic and feel.

At the moment I'm reading The Fountainhead at a rather lackadaisical pace. :/

I read Brave New World and thought Huxley was on something but I see now his point. Gives me a better perspective and comparison with Athem by Rand.

Aristotles Poetics I read and found it fascinating particularly the dramatic volume.

I did reread Orwells 1984 and thought about whether or not he was like Jules Verne with From the Earth to the Moon; a visionary that saw a possibility even though he was writing political satire. Can't go wrong with Animal Farm either.

No kidding. Ayn Rand has to be the worst writer of the 20th Century. Her novels are excruciating. Read Orwell instead. He can say just as much as or more than Rand with a fraction of the words.

I dunno, I've read Orwell and all, but Rand is also very good. I love her writing so far. :/

This reminds me, I'm going to read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five sometime soon. Has anyone here read it? Any thoughts, etc.?

It's good. Definitely worth the read, anyway - I think it's below 200 pages. I preferred Cat's Cradle to it, though.

Archived