Home

The swine flu

Lantzen

Today my school sent out a letter outlining every step we should take if we might have it, and a nice part about "proper coughing technique"

On Monday about 50 of us are wearing breath masks to school with piggy faces drawn on them to make fun of how the school administrators are morons. The only true pandemic right now is hysteria, and fortunately, it has a cure that isn't even controlled by the drug industry. Its called a reality check, and most of the world could use one right about now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My school has ordered 400+ boxes of tissues, and are apparently 'preparing' for closure, should the need arise. Those of us in the higher years in the school apparently have to instruct the younger kids, on how to correctly blow their noses without spreading germs.

Is there some sort of complicated method for blowing ones nose? I wouldn't have thought so myself, but meh...

Can't hurt to be prepared for the worst case scenario, I guess..

Today my school sent out a letter outlining every step we should take if we might have it, and a nice part about "proper coughing technique"

On Monday about 50 of us are wearing breath masks to school with piggy faces drawn on them to make fun of how the school administrators are morons. The only true pandemic right now is hysteria, and fortunately, it has a cure that isn't even controlled by the drug industry. Its called a reality check, and most of the world could use one right about now.

I agree. While this is a serious cause for concern, many of the reactions are overblown.

It's infected people, yes, but the current number of confirmed cases is less than 1,000 globally - out of a population of several billion. When it's spreading at a much faster rate, and is killing more people, then i'll be worried.

But I wont be buying a breath mask from my local chemist just yet. ;)

Is there some sort of complicated method for blowing ones nose? I wouldn't have thought so myself, but meh...

No, but after having had to teach both my kids how to blow their noses, and more importantly, what to do/not do with the results on the tissue, it''s not immediately obvious, either. I've seen more than a few adults come through my office who think that it's OK to set a used tissue down anywhere and just leave it for someone else to clean up. Yukk.

Teaching small children is fair enough, they need to learn how to properly dispose of tissue's and other items of a similar nature properly.

The kids I was referring to are 12-13 years old. You'd think they'd already know by that age, wouldn't you?

You have a point about leaving used tissues laying around though. That's just vile. Ironically, the people who do it will then go on to complain about others doing it too.

(Not at all suggesting that you do that by the way, if that's how it looks). :)

Yeah, I got the same sort of thing from University, an e-mail informing us of the 'criteria' (yep, 'criteria', not 'symptoms') for swine flu, and some helpful advice on avoiding it - which was basically 'don't leave the province. The rest of the world is unsafe.'

+Rep if I could, I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. I can't wait until South Park parodies the Swine Flue, I know they already had a pandemic episode (a double episode about hamsters or something) but we always learn something after seeing how Randy Marsh and everyone else in SP overreacts to something.

+Rep if I could, I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. I can't wait until South Park parodies the Swine Flue, I know they already had a pandemic episode (a double episode about hamsters or something) but we always learn something after seeing how Randy Marsh and everyone else in SP overreacts to something.

Probably not going to happen: the season just ended. :(

The kids I was referring to are 12-13 years old. You'd think they'd already know by that age, wouldn't you?

I can't tell you how often I have to remind my soon-to-be 12 year old (my God! He's that old already!) to keep tissues in his pocket so he doesn't need to use a sleeve or sneeze all over his hand. They theoretically know at that age, but I think when we're middle schoolers puberty makes our brains melt and fall out of our ears.

i got a nasty cold. it started 2 days ago with a sore throat, now it's affecting my sinuses!!!!!!!! i'm gonna die!!!!!!!!!!! :joy:

I do too. I hate being sick...

Yeah we got a letter home from school on Friday about the swine flu and how to prevent it. There are two probable cases in the city that I live in. Honestly though, the media has really blown it out of proportions.

You know, I think the reason people are 'overreacting' to this recent outbreak is because this outbreak is not regular Swine Flu, it is actually a new mutation...or strain.

It is combined with the Avian Flu{bird flu}, and two strains of the Swine Flu, I think perhaps both Influenzavirus A{very contagious and very flu-bad:D} and Influenzavirus B{not as contagious, but could be bad if strained with the other two flu's mentioned}

Anyway, I read that recently, and we either have a pandemic or an exaggerated cold.:D Just an opinion:D

You know, I think the reason people are 'overreacting' to this recent outbreak is because this outbreak is not regular Swine Flu, it is actually a new mutation...or strain.

Yeah, it happens every year or so. the standard flu strain gets mutated, and gets more powerful than a normal flu you would get. The only reason its so disastrous on us is that our bodies were just exposed to this, so we haven't had a lot of time for us to develop an immunity to it. And by the time we are, the flu has mutated once, (or more, my knowledge on time taken to develop immunities are a little rusty.) and this process will keep on repeating.

(or more, my knowledge on time taken to develop immunities are a little rusty.)

Here's the quick and easy:

1. Everybody takes a different amount of time to fight off the virus (or die) depending on their immune system.

2. Viruses can mutate at any time that they reproduce. Sometimes it's a big mutation, sometimes not.

3. We only get mutations like the Swine flu that cause pandemic when the virus is mutated so much that our immune system no longer recognizes it as a flu and doesn't actually respond to it with the memory cells that we have. It has to start the entire immune response from the beginning, which takes a while.

_EW_

lmao. omg, this is just the flu. A more agressive flu to be sure, but the flu never the less. If I do get sick, i'm going to do what I always do. curl up under a blanket, with a hot cup of tea, and some chicken noodle soup, and say home for a day or so.

Archived