Home

The swine flu

Lantzen

Unfortunately, people seem to be associating "pandemic" with "Armageddon", which I'm given to understand is not entirely accurate.

Things like this always seem to encourage extra vigilance amongst communities, so as I said before, it's entirely likely that anyone with the sniffles is associating it with swine flu.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the deal though Jae. The news goes all panicy and OOOooooOOoo SCAREEE. Every time we have a new virus. "Wolf." "WOLF!" "WOOLLLLLFFFF!!!"

Oh well... It's better to spend 5 minutes on that than that same time covering the "Tot Mom" I just wish they wouldn't frame it in the "ZOMG TEH WERLD IZ DOOOMED!" manner.

*munches bacon bacon and bacon sammich*

Ok, I really think this is overrated. So far, less people have died than die every ten minutes in a car crash. Less people have died than are struck by lightening each year. THIS IS A BIG LOAD OF CRAP PRESENTED BY THE NEWS MEDIA TO MAKE MORE MONEY. IT IS WHAT THEY DO. Start worrying later. If ever.

^his biceps are bigger than his head! :rofl:

It's a safe bet that his nads aren't. :xp:

*Downs Prosciutto*

Ugh, how do you eat that stuff?

Italians generally don't castrate their boars, and that's why Prosciutto or any Italian pork product tastes like what the boar has been standing in his entire life. :barf2:

It's a safe bet that his nads aren't. :xp:

Uhh, I may be like only about average strength, but at least I don't screw around with my nads. Uhuhuhuh.

:lol:

Ugh, how do you eat that stuff?

Italians generally don't castrate their boars, and that's why Prosciutto or any Italian pork product tastes like what the boar has been standing in his entire life. :barf2:

Uhh, you actually know what pig S*** and mud tastes like? That's kind of disurbing...

(walks away very fast)

[Puerto Rican Accent] HEY! NO BARFING![/Puerto Rican Accent]

I looked on the Swine flu map, and there is no mention of the suspects and the 1 death in our state caused by swine flu. I guess a 20 something month old baby isn't important enough to be on their map. :carms:

And they only died because they just came back from a trip to Mexico.

In other news, Egypt's paranoia causes the deaths of all their pigs.

In WI, in the Milwaukee area to be exact, at least 100 schools have been shut down due to people thinking they have the flu.

Hahaha, I'd pay to see your Doctor's face when you tell him what you've done and why.

Psh. I'm just looking for a dang day off from work haha

Plus imagine the boss's face when you say, "I have influenza AND Swine flu, You still want me to come in to work?"

I looked on the Swine flu map, and there is no mention of the suspects and the 1 death in our state caused by swine flu. I guess a 20 something month old baby isn't important enough to be on their map. :carms:

And they only died because they just came back from a trip to Mexico.

In other news, Egypt's paranoia causes the deaths of all their pigs.

In WI, in the Milwaukee area to be exact, at least 100 schools have been shut down due to people thinking they have the flu.

go get uppity so as to appear more like a decent human being somewhere else

According to the World Health Organization, the Pig flu is not airborne. So we can all calm down and stop acting like this is SARS come to tentacle-rape us... unless of course you live on a pig farm. And then you should worry, since you get it from pig poop.

Unfortunately I cant find a link... as I heard it on the radio.

Also, seven deaths directly from pig flu world wide. In Mexico. This is hardly a pandemic. When it gets to black plague levels, then its a pandemic. <,<

Also, seven deaths directly from pig flu world wide. In Mexico. This is hardly a pandemic. When it gets to black plague levels, then its a pandemic. <,<

Technically, a pandemic simply refers to the spread of a disease, not to its lethality.

I don't get why the media gets everyone so worked up over stuff like this. I'm not worried, and I live on a farm (of course we don't have pigs, so...). Anyway, unless my Dad inadvertently brings it back from one of his business trips, I'll just continue with my life as usual.

According to the World Health Organization, the Pig flu is not airborne. So we can all calm down and stop acting like this is SARS come to tentacle-rape us... unless of course you live on a pig farm. And then you should worry, since you get it from pig poop.

Unfortunately I cant find a link... as I heard it on the radio.

This isn't correct information from the radio, sorry.

Here are the facts on swine flu/H1N1 flu from the Centers for Disease Control.

While many cases of swine flu are swine-to-human in small outbreaks, the situation has changed. In this case, the virus can be transmitted person-to-person through coughing or sneezing (i.e. it's airborne), or touching something contaminated with the virus and then touching your mouth or nose.

Here is the CDC website page on the H1N1 flu for more information. Please do not spread bad information about this situation, people. I heard this morning that the number one source of incorrect information about swine flu is twitter, facebook, and other social networking sites. If you're concerned about something with this flu, please consult a reputable medical site like the CDC or WebMD, or ask here and I'll find a correct answer for you. :)

'Pandemic' simply refers to how widespread a disease is. HIV is pandemic. We have pandemics of the common cold all the time.

I don't get why the media gets everyone so worked up over stuff like this.

It's because of how fast it's spreading, and the fact that people have died from it, and the obvious need to warn those who have compromised immune systems (the very young and old, those on chemotherapy, those with HIV or other immune disorders, and those taking medications that suppress their immune systems). "Regular" flu unfortunately kills people every year, too, but it doesn't get quite the same attention.

Archived