Home

XWA one year thread V: A Slightly Better, but Used Hope

just watched "Bobby Z" with my parents. pretty good movie. now gotta find out what the next movie i get on netflix will be....hmm maybe Avatar....ok got a month wait on that one...forget it.

is babylon a.d. any good? is it anything like the tv show?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@keyan

Pulling apart my post like that only allows you to nitpick each aspect and virtually Destroy my post. it does not make you right and me wrong. So I will reiterate so you can understand the points I was trying to make, since you seem to have missed them in your destruction of my previous post

Yes Latin mass has been used before. But the restrictions have been reduced by the Pope's motu proprio "Summorum Pontificum" The latin mass had effectively been replaced, following the mid 60s, by a liturgy recited in vernacular. before Pope Benidicts motu proprio Priest had to seek approval of their Bishop in order to perform them. Which in most cases Bishops in the west would not allowed it for fear of splitting up its members into two groups based on which they preferred (Traditional latin mass, or Contemporary mass in the vernacular). THe current pope obviously favors schismatic followers of the late ultratraditionalist Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, wh split with the catholics over the introduction of the vernacular and other Vatican reforms in the 60s and the current Pope now seeks to push back the reforms so it no longer appeals to more Modern followers

I am not talking about YOUR personal experience, but the whole Catholic Church which has shown again it is much more a political entity then a religious one.

I really don't see the point of having mass in Latin when you don't know Latin. Because if you go there without understanding what is being said you are going there more to be SEEN at church then truly strengthening your faith and others in your Church. For all you know the Priest could be saying that all Jews should be converted (which the latin mass includes) in a great attempt at Anti-Semitism which I thought the Catholic Church was trying to avoid in the last 70 years

Thankfully, the weather held up today where I am. Seemed like it was raining all around me, but never fell here.

Walked about 10 miles today. Would have liked to do more... but it's been so long since my last walk that my feet have gotten tender again, and I had to call it quits before I blistered up too badly.

@keyan

The latin mass had effectively been replaced, following the mid 60s, by a liturgy recited in vernacular.

I again reiterate that Mass in Latin vs. Mass in the vernacular is a totally different issue than use of the 1962 missal vs. use of the 1970 missal. The Second Vatican Council, which you seem to think is an agent of this great move to the vernacular, in fact stated the opposite. Sacrosanctum concilium clearly stated that the use of Latin was to be preserved in the Latin rites.

Before Pope Benidicts motu proprio Priest had to seek approval of their Bishop in order to perform them. Which in most cases Bishops in the west would not allowed it for fear of splitting up its members into two groups based on which they preferred (Traditional latin mass, or Contemporary mass in the vernacular).

That wasn't the reason. There are many Catholic rites, and they have all co-existed quite well for centuries. The reason, again, was because the traditional rite formed an obstacle to implementing their theologically liberal agenda.

THe current pope obviously favors schismatic followers of the late ultratraditionalist Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, wh split with the catholics over the introduction of the vernacular and other Vatican reforms in the 60s and the current Pope now seeks to push back the reforms so it no longer appeals to more Modern followers.

Incorrect. Neither Archbishop Lefebvre, nor his society is or ever was schismatic. Disobedient, yes, but they did not seek to establish an alternate hierarchy. The pope cannot favor them too much, because all the priests in that society are still suspended, and all their Masses are illicit.

I really don't see the point of having mass in Latin when you don't know Latin.

I already explained what the point of that is - to keep the text the same for the entire Church without having to worry about absorbing any colloquial flavor that could change the words or meaning of the text. And yes, with Mass in the vernacular, this is a serious problem. Priests today constantly change things, ad-lib, and otherwise take liberties that they should not. This cannot happen when you have a fixed text that is the same everywhere in the world.

Because if you go there without understanding what is being said you are going there more to be SEEN at church then truly strengthening your faith and others in your Church.

As I already explained, everyone knows what is being said. You can follow along line by line in a missal. And after a short time, you get to know what it all means without needing even that, except for the propers.

For all you know the Priest could be saying that all Jews should be converted (which the latin mass includes) in a great attempt at Anti-Semitism which I thought the Catholic Church was trying to avoid in the last 70 years

Why do you keep bringing up Jews? Don't you think Catholics want to convert Jews? Of course they do. The apostles were pretty big on converting Jews.

Keyan, :swear:

if you are going to try to have a discussion. Please dont pull apart my posts like that and take bits of it out of context. and only reply to the parts you feel you can nit pick apart. you did it again.

STOP DOING THAT

I find this insulting. you obviously completely miss the point of my post AGAIN in your destruction of my post. and obviously are not willing to have a civil and decent discussion about this topic

if you are going to try to have a discussion. Please dont pull apart my posts like that and take bits of it out of context. and only reply to the parts you feel you can nit pick apart. you did it again.

almost anyone will agree that pulling apart quotes to directly respond to ones points is far easier in online discussion

STOP DOING THAT

I find this insulting. you obviously completely miss the point of my post AGAIN in your destruction of my post. and obviously are not willing to have a civil and decent discussion about this topic

:rolleyes:

someone need his diaper changed?

you obviously for some reason hate latin.

its a tradition and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as a tradition, going back to your 1000+ year old roots to do things 'the old way' once in a while.

STOP DOING THAT

How can we have a discussion without addressing specific points? You made various points, and I responded with my objections to them. You said you don't see the point of Latin, I asserted there was a point and gave reasons, etc. And I asked specific questions, like what any of this has to do with the Jews, because I don't see the point you are trying to make with that.

I have to kind of side with Keyan on this one.

I'm hardly the planet's biggest defender of Catholicism... but they do have the right to celebrate their Mass in anyway they see fit... just as you and I have the right to not attend that Mass, or attend another church/ religion entirely... or none at all (which is currently my modus operandi.)

F**k it.

why don't we all agree that the major religions on this planet are full of s**t, and get on with out lives.

hate me if you want. I speak the truth (to an extent, cus I know I'm at least half way empty of s**t)

Finally got all my ceiling fans up. Why does everything have to suck so much? Four out of five of these things had major problems that I had to go way beyond what I should have had to do to fix. Holes drilled in the wrong place, stuff not lined up correctly... Is it that hard to make some fan parts correctly and shove them in a box so I can just throw it up there? Obviously it is.

ughghghghghg drank a 'earthquake' and 2 lagers.....YUENGLING FTMFW. ;) @ zarg

GOING TO PHILLY TOMORROW!!!!!!!

seriosuly.

figure out what it costs to mail me a 12 pack.

I will paypal you and make it worth your while.

I owe my neighbor a few favors anyways

Archived