Home

Beauty pageant terrorist

To win the title of Miss USA, Rima Fakih paraded across a Las Vegas stage in a nearly microscopic bikini. She skirted disaster when she almost tripped in her glittery white evening gown. Finally, she told the judges that health insurance should cover birth control pills.

Fakih, a 24-year-old Arab-American whose family hails from Lebanon, has almost nothing in common with the religious zealots who inspire militant Islam. Yet the tiara had scarcely come to rest on her cascading dark tresses Sunday night when the far reaches of the right wing blogosphere went ballistic.

Debbie Schlussel, a conservative blogger, charged that Fakih was a radical Muslim because she shares her family name with some officials in Hezbollah, the militant Lebanese Shiite Muslim group.

The Jewish Internet Defense Force, a pro-Israeli website, proclaimed it "a dark day for America."

Daniel Pipes, an outspoken neoconservative author and former adviser to Rudy Giuliani's presidential campaign, wondered about "this surprising frequency of Muslims winning beauty pageants" — he listed five examples in three countries since 2005 — and suggested that the Donald Trump-owned Miss USA pageant had bowed to affirmative action.

Arab community leaders in Fakih's hometown of Dearborn, Mich., have hailed her win as a sign of the diversity of their culture. For all the stereotypes of servile Arab women trapped in a deeply conservative society, Fakih's appearance alongside blond, blue-eyed contestants from Oklahoma and Colorado seemed to validate what Imad Hamad, the director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in Dearborn, said was "the richness of America."

Nevertheless, by Monday afternoon "rima fakih hezbollah" had become a suggested search term on Google

Source: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/05/17/94317/new-miss-usa-islamic-fundamentalism.html#ixzz0oIHsNt85

Can you honestly tell me fear and paranoia aren't deep instilled when something like this is brought up and faintly considered just because of a surname? With all due respect someone who says something like that don't deserve, please silence is silver, duct tape is golden.

PS: Is that a micro-bikini? I've seen stuff much more microscopic.

"A person is smart, people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it"

-Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K in Men in Black

The above is one of my favorite quotes regarding humanity. It is disappointing to me that people generalize so broadly, but at the same time I'm not overly surprised.

I would agree with your statements about fear and paranoia, but it is also racial generalization and stereotyping as well. It's like assuming that all Irishmen are drunks, all Asians are smart etc...

Someday I hope humanity will rise above such things...but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

It's a shame that people feel the need to dump all over what would ordinarily be an extraordinary step forward for social cohesion.

...charged that Fakih was a radical Muslim because she shares her family name with some officials in Hezbollah, the militant Lebanese Shiite Muslim group.

Using that logic, I must be awesome at Baseball, Golf and Football, and a few other things too.

Oh pu-lease. I swear there are people who have nothing better to do than nitpick at various things. She won because obviously the judges thought she was the best to be Miss America and now people are griping because of her last name? Hell does Arizona ring a bell or two?

To be brutally honest with you guys, this is why I'm kind of losing respect with the right-wing. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but it's people like this who honestly give society - and America - a bad name.

"pole dancing scandal"...

I declare false advertising, I went looking for these “pole dancing photos/video,” strictly for research purposes and a young lady dancing in shorts and a tank top is hardly what my research concludes is pole dancing or controversial. She showed more skin during swimsuit competition on the “wholesome” Miss U.S.A. telecast.

I declare false advertising, I went looking for these “pole dancing photos/video,” strictly for research purposes

:lol: I just realized your avatar has a peculiar arrangement to his hands.. as if it's wanting to grasp.. something(s). Can't quite place my mind as to what at the moment though... hmmm ;)

Crap like this gives conservatism a bad name. It reeks of desperation.

the brown scare

"pole dancing scandal"...

Well, I'm not scared. I'd let her fine brown frame dance on my pole. :snake1:

Saw something about this the other night. Much ado about nothing. "Fake" pole dancing contest winner and now Miss America. Now, maybe if they could get that going on in the mideast, they'd forget about all those 72 virgins. Meanwhile, I'll have to throw my lot in w/mimartin, ChAiNz, EvilQ and GTA.

As for Schlussel.......I've seen her somewhere before and she didn't seem all that bright to me.

To be brutally honest with you guys, this is why I'm kind of losing respect with the right-wing. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but it's people like this who honestly give society - and America - a bad name.

That makes very little sense. It's like me saying I'm losing respect for Muslims because their fringe wants to kill me and destroy my way of life, or that I'm losing respect for left-wingers because some of them are just as irrational.

On topic: Who cares what her religion is? Last I heard the contest was pretty irrelevant to everything that actually matters. However, while she is good-looking, she's far from the best the US has to offer. I know tons of better looking women.

:o Oops!...a thread full of testosterone...steps back gently and silently leaves the boys party to start a blog about Miss USA being a "terrorist" :xp:

noGirls.jpg:xp:~Cz

And yet I am still here. Must be because I have been around testosterone filled environments before :xp:

If you want an opinion, I think the Miss America beauty pageant... oops "scholarship program" is nothing more than a visual representation of the male fantasy in an attempt to reinforce the existing ideal that women are nothing more than sex objects for men to goggle at. I do admit that it is more tame than the music videos using gyrating young women dancers in the background, etc.

As to the whole issue about Fakih is nothing more than the continued attempts of the US to demonize the "other" which shifted from Sooviet Russia to the very "freedom fighters" that we supported in the first place. Talk about two timing it. Anyway just to accuse someone of being a Muslim extremist because of their last name is as bad as the racial profiling that exists and the backlash that is being raise because of the border issue Arizona started.

I wonder who actually watches these things to begin with... I mean, I know they exist, but no one I know actually watches these sorts of things no matter which country they're in.

I mean, people can easily say that it's to appal to some male fantasy... but the folks I know who fit into what was described couldn't give a f*** about any of this... so who is this REALLY targeted at?

I wonder who actually watches these things to begin with... I mean, I know they exist, but no one I know actually watches these sorts of things no matter which country they're in.

I mean, people can easily say that it's to appal to some male fantasy... but the folks I know who fit into what was described couldn't give a f*** about any of this... so who is this REALLY targeted at?

Currently things that are supposed to appeal to male fantasy are targeted at late adolescent to young adults. Approx 16-30 yrs old. It is the same age group that WWE caters to.

Some wise man said that the youth was the future. Well...

10 bucks says the audience watching are actually creepy old men 40+.... cause this is the 21st century and anyone who's even close to being young know that if they want anything, they can easily get it from the internet... not some crappy pageant on TV.

Also, don't become a jaded old woman too quickly :p

Archived