Home

Xbox 360 or PS3?

Rev7

360 or PS3  

73 members have voted

1. 1. 360 or PS3

Whoever says that is an idiot, I have to say. I got my 360 back in no more than 2 weeks, I only had to call them once, and it was very quick, and it was actually enjoyable talking with customer service.

Don't get me wrong, I wholehearedly agree with you - I haven't got a single complaint against microsoft. They were courteous and polite, and even gave me 6 months free gold membership for the inconvenience of having my console taken away.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you get one now, or you get it repaired, you will have no problems with it. (personal experience ;))

And last I heard Microsoft will fix any red ring problems for free, plus the obligatory six to eight weeks of waiting.

Why? Do you just not do anything with it at all?

If that's the case, I love Vista too. :xp:

Why? Do you just not do anything with it at all?

_EW_

Because it is nowhere near as bad as what people say. People said that XP was crap when it first came out, and look where XP is now, all my games work perfectly on it, even DOS games like Duke Nukem 3D without the need of an emulator. I could go on, but, you know, it isn't a Vista thread.

I have both consoles, so I get the best of both worlds. :p

Also, it's worth pointing out that hardware wise I find my PS3 to be much more dependable then the 360. I believe I'm on my 3rd Xbox360 right now (A friend I know is on his 6th), the other two having died suddenly - Whilst I haven't had any problems what so ever with the PS3.

And in the UK at least, when the 360 breaks - The usual process involves phoning the helpline, informing them of the problem (Which I always say is RROD to take advantage of the extended warranty), sending the xbox away, then waiting 2-3 weeks for a refurbished model to be sent back to you.

And in the UK at least, when the 360 breaks - The usual process involves phoning the helpline, informing them of the problem (Which I always say is RROD to take advantage of the extended warranty), sending the xbox away, then waiting 2-3 weeks for a refurbished model to be sent back to you.

Works this way here too. No free Gold membership for the inconvinience either.

PS3 for MGS4 and Blu-Ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360

Too bad MGS4 is the only thing that overpriced piece of crap has going for it right now.

I'd almost consider a PS3 simply for the Blu-Ray player. But, I could still get a blu-ray player cheaper than that $600 system.

I don't even count the others as existing. They don't. They ripped out backward compatibility in them, so Sony can go choke on itself. Then you can add in the lack of rumble feature to make money off of selling separate controllers.

The 360 will have more games that have been polished to a much higher shine than PS3 games will. Sony made a system that was too expensive to make games for, so they screwed themselves for titles. 360 took the initiative with fair system specs and gets the games and exclusives because they are cheaper to make, and the companies will make more from the 360 than they will the PS3.

And for all of you whining about red ring...

I've had my system break down. A number of my friends have had their systems break down. Getting it fixed was free, quick, and easy. The customer service was fantastic, and they did their best to keep you as a customer.

The PS3 may be more reliable, but I'll trade actual -games- for reliability. That is what I did for my n64 and PS2. Hell, with my PS2 I had to actually manually repair it every month or so.

If Sony is willing to go down in price while making sensible cuts then thats fine. I'd actually buy a PS3 if they cut out the Blu-Ray and gave us back backward compatibility.

They are screwing themselves by having such an expensive secondary system within their own console.

I'd actually buy a PS3 if they cut out the Blu-Ray

Not going to happen. Even if Sony had the capability to foresee the crappy situation they're in now, they wouldn't change it. Sony might have reached Nirvana when Blu-Ray was practically announced as the DVD successor.

and gave us back backward compatibility.

You can still have it, just not on the cheaper models.

Pretty much untrue. Heck, we've even TFU coming for it. But, yeah, the releases of great hits have naturally diminished. Besides, PS2 library is so big you can enjoy some great games that you probably never even heard of for cheap prices. I do buy every two weeks or so some game I missed and I have a lot of fun.

Well, I know that I haven't seen many (if any at all) new releases for the PS2, with the exeption of the force unleashed that is going to come out. I do have to say that the PS2 has been very good to me.

Well, I have played my friend's Xbox 360 and I am really falling in love with it. I have played Halo 3 (for the first time on Legendary, and nearly beat the game! :D spent like 6 hours the last two days playing it...) and Call of Duty 4 on it so far and they have impressed me. The graphics for Halo 3 wasn't as good as CoD4 though....but are still better than anything that I have owned. I also really like the Xbox Live stuff. Friends, messages, gamerscore, ect... it is all really cool.

Not going to happen. Even if Sony had the capability to foresee the crappy situation they're in now, they wouldn't change it. Sony might have reached Nirvana when Blu-Ray was practically announced as the DVD successor.

I'd assume it was first thought "Awesome!" when Blu-Ray was announced as the successor...

Only problem is, it helped them as much as it hurt them.

From a purely money making standpoint, the fact that Blu-Ray won through really helped them.

How is that bad? Blu-Ray is the successor. What does that mean? Very high player prices for a good number of years, maybe even as long as the PS3 is a high standing console.

Again, why is that bad? Because you have one of those expensive players built into your console. If you ever lower the price of your console below that of other Blu-ray players, you would screw yourself for future deals by undermining your allies.

So, the console must always stay above, or at least at a competitive price with not only the Blu-Ray players, but the game console side of it.

I jumped onto google and did some price checks. A current Blu-Ray player can go from $350 to over $600, which goes along with the current pricing of the PS3.

So, as I said, the PS3 has two markets it is trying to play against. Sony is both competing with Nintendo and Microsoft for the game side of their console, while also having to compete with full Blu-Ray player makers.

It is trying to do too much too soon. Competing with 2 markets is hard enough. Then, ontop of that, you have to consider the game half of the console. The hardware in a PS3 is impressive. Very impressive. But, like Crisis, it tried to do too much too soon.

Because of the programing and hardware the PS3 has to offer you get higher price tags for the creation of a game, along with a longer wait period for production. Both equal bad news, because a game publisher isn't going to be too keen on throwing down a lot of money for a game they may not see signs of for years.

Now, each one of these problems is a small wave. The PS2 and Xbox felt this problem themselves with the addition of a DVD player. But the PS2 started at $300. The PS3 started at $600. That is quite a leap.

So, you have a system that is competing with two markets which determine its price. You have a system that is double the price of its very popular former. You have a system that asks for quote a bill from the publishers.

And, ontop of all that, you have a company that is willing to make unneeded cuts in order to keep quirks that are crushing their system.

Sony could cut the price of their system in -half- if they were willing to remove that Blu-Ray player in at least one of their different PS3s.

What would happen if they did? I think you'd have more people willing to buy their -game- console instead of their home theater system. When you have more people willing to buy the system, you have more publishers willing to make games for it and get a return on their investment.

Its just bad business. Or, rather, a showing that Sony really doesn't give a damn about the game market. So much so that I wonder if they will really try for a PS4.

Either way, I'm not picking up one of their systems until I'm sure they have their stuff straightened out.

But, as you said, even if they could they probably wouldn't change it. Sony hasn't really hid their incompetence well these last few years.

You can still have it, just not on the cheaper models.

My point exactly.

and kidnapped blue ray...l

you should research a bit more before you rant!

Sony + pioneer were the first to launch R+D projects to utilise Nakamura's blue laser diodes. They are also one of the foundation members of the BDA (blu-ray disc association).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

For all intents and purposes, blu-ray is their baby.... :)

@OP

As for purchase advice. If all you want to do is game, go for the 360.

Alternatively, If you have a 1080p display, want to use blu-ray sand want a standalone multimedia device, the PS3 is the option to go with. Later this year in UK and Q1 in 0z, Sony is rolling out PlayTV, a tuner device that will make the ps3 a PVR ie. like a tivo (which Sony also developed).

In this respect, the ps3 will trump the x360 as the 360 can only work as a media center extender when paired with a vista media center pc. The P53 will be the standalone PVR , which still has the option of linking to a pc based content server. The slice cf Linux that lives on the ps3 gives it a depth of function the 360 cant match.

that being said. if you just want to game on your old school TV, the 360 is the cheaper , and perhaps more sensible choice.

good luck with the purchase :)

mtfbwya

when paired with a vista media center pc.
Not true. Any windows PC that can run Windows Media Player 11 can be used as a media extender, and there is a linux ap that allows music to be streamed (I assume video streaming is in the works).

Additionally, with the new Xbox Netflix partnership the Xbox will be able to stream all of the Netflix watch it now movies.

Also, the xbox marketplace has a pretty big selection of TV and movie titles, and getting more all the time

[blu ray rant]

Well said. I understand you complaints and where they come from, Sony's indeed trying to compete at two markets at the same time and that sure made things difficult for them. Their own haughtiness can be blamed for the situation they're in now.

However I can say that Blu-ray and it's victory on the media wars are just exactly Sony was needing to accomplish their plans on making the PS3 lasts for a decade, instead of five years. If it manages to survive.

As much as as I have a liking for the PS3, I must say the current generation is a mess when compared to the previous. Players are quite lost on the firefight. On the 128 bits generation, after two years the consoles were released, most people knew the safest bet as to invest back them. Now, the consoles drawbacks seems to overcome their benefits.

360 crew checking in.

The 360 has more games, and Sony's been losing its exclusive titles. The only game for the PS3 that I'm interested in is inFamous, and who's to say that it won't eventually be on the 360?

I don't know how I feel about the new dashboard update, but the Netflix thing will be a great bonus. I already have Netflix and Gold, so bring it on.

Plus, isn't the 360 cheaper?

Archived