Home

13 Year Old Sussex Boy becomes Father

Astor

Full Story

Well, i'm sure everyone in the UK has heard about this. I have to say I was shocked by this story - I really didn't think that things were this bad regarding sex education and awareness.

What is perhaps even more shocking, is that the parents of both children involved seem to think it's a perfectly normal occurence for a 12 and 15 year old:

He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation. But he has been at the hospital every day.

There's no way on Earth either of them could fully understand the implications of having a child, and it's doubtful that the boy knew exactly what he was getting into.

Now it seems that they've both cut their childhood short for something most people in their 20s would think twice about doing.

Thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH, I'm not "shocked" per se, amused, perhaps. Teenage pregnancies happen all the time, as do pre-teenage pregnancies, probably not in the UK though, but you'll see them all around Africa.

Don't see why everyone's getting so shocked about the boy's proclamation that he will take care of the baby. It's not like he's living out on the streets of a foreign country now, he'll do fine: he has his parents and his erm, the baby's mom. There was no other option after she got pregnant, and hence his perfectly cool reaction that he'll take care of the kid and they'll raise him. Does the boy have issues? I'll say that he won't be humping anyone anytime soon, neither will the mom.

Though I can imagine how freaked out that baby will be when it learns its dad was 13 when he had sex with his 15 year old mom.

Wow. That was laughable. My favorite part of the article was, "Alfie said he, 'thought it would be good to have a baby' and [that he would] 'take care of it.'"

Don't see why everyone's getting so shocked about the boy's proclamation that he will take care of the baby. It's not like he's living out on the streets of a foreign country now, he'll do fine: he has his parents and his erm, the baby's mom.

I disagree, Sabre. Though he may live with his parent's, the father is still a child, and not yet even in high school/college (not great points in one's life to have children, I think, but the points in this case are used as markers)! The point being is that he is neither physically or mentally mature enough in order to take care of a child, in my opinion, and nor should he attempt to.

I disagree, Sabre. Though he may live with his parent's, the father is still a child, and not yet even in high school/college (not great points in one's life to have children, I think, but the points in this case are used as markers)! The point being is that he is neither physically or mentally mature enough in order to take care of a child, in my opinion, and nor should he attempt to.

I mean it's not that he's all alone in this, his parents and the girl's parents will take care of the baby as well, in fact, I think they'll take care of the baby primarily.

What I'm saying is that his statements now are just disaster management: that the baby's been born, and he will be taken care of, there's nothing else that you can do.

This is ridiculous. This kid is almost three years younger than me. I know that right now, at my age I could never hope to be a competent father, so I doubt Alfie will either.

The baby will end up being raised by her grandparents I think, as a 13 year old boy, and a 16 year old girl are far too young.

Underage sex is a big issue here in the UK, (most likely in other places too) and a better sex education program is definitely needed. Most kids these days just get info from their mates, which is usually unreliable.

A 12 year old boy may not, but a 15 year old girl should have had the sense to use protection, as she almost definitely knew the risks of unprotected sex.

Chav's.

:lol:

I mean it's not that he's all alone in this, his parents and the girl's parents will take care of the baby as well, in fact, I think they'll take care of the baby primarily.

Indeed. However, I was criticizing the child's saying that he would take good care of it. Apologies for misreading your earlier statement.

What I'm saying is that his statements now are just disaster management: that the baby's been born, and he will be taken care of, there's nothing else that you can do.

That's completely true. I have a feeling, however, that many will use this as a point to increase sex education, and other relating programs. Everything has its uses, I suppose.

The point being is that he is neither physically or mentally mature enough in order to take care of a child, in my opinion, and nor should he attempt to.

This isn't entirely true. While I agree that this is ridiculous, and this much responsibility should by no means fall to someone so young (it is the literal end of your individual life to have a child as a teenager), that doesn't mean that he may not be able to meet the challenge. Everyone has varying levels of maturity at varying ages, and while I have no idea what kind of person this kid is, he might have what it takes to take care of a child at his age. My mother was 9 years old, and taking care of her 5 younger sisters, from newborn to 5 years old, because her older sister was married and gone, and her mother was a lush, leaving only her elderly grandmother who couldn't keep up with that many kids by herself. She was literally their mother for most of her childhood, simply because she had to be.

Attaching maturity and responsibility to age just doesn't work. I know a lot of people that are 20-30 years of age that aren't mature or responsible enough to take care of a goldfish, let alone a child. If he wants to give it a shot, while I think it is awful that he has to decide such a thing, he's stuck in the rut, so let him try. The probability is against him for having the needed character to do it, but we simply don't know for certain whether or not he does.

WHAT THE F***?!

THAT is just messed up wrong. It doesn't get too much more messed up than that. --To think I knew peers who would actually joke about this very thing.

Quite sobering.

Well, i'm sure everyone in the UK has heard about this. I have to say I was shocked by this story - I really didn't think that things were this bad regarding sex education and awareness.

What is perhaps even more shocking, is that the parents of both children involved seem to think it's a perfectly normal occurence for a 12 and 15 year old:

There's no way on Earth either of them could fully understand the implications of having a child, and it's doubtful that the boy knew exactly what he was getting into.

Now it seems that they've both cut their childhood short for something most people in their 20s would think twice about doing.

Thoughts?

That is some F***ed up BULL****.

What is obvious here is failure on all fronts on all levels. Not the least of which are the parents (EDIT: of the teen parents) as evidenced by their sentiment on the issue.

At the very least I believe this to be either a case resulting from sexual abuse or negligence...probably a combination of the two.

Kids who are sexually active at this young of an age have a significant probability of having been abused themselves. There's far more to this story, most likely, than appears here.

I most definitely agree with you on this, Jae.

Holy hell. This is absurd.

_EW_

You sure said it, man.

TBH, I'm not "shocked" per se, amused, perhaps. Teenage pregnancies happen all the time, as do pre-teenage pregnancies, probably not in the UK though, but you'll see them all around Africa.

Don't see why everyone's getting so shocked about the boy's proclamation that he will take care of the baby. It's not like he's living out on the streets of a foreign country now, he'll do fine: he has his parents and his erm, the baby's mom. There was no other option after she got pregnant, and hence his perfectly cool reaction that he'll take care of the kid and they'll raise him. Does the boy have issues? I'll say that he won't be humping anyone anytime soon, neither will the mom.

Though I can imagine how freaked out that baby will be when it learns its dad was 13 when he had sex with his 15 year old mom.

Just because this is a natural/regular occurrence amongst animals does not mean it is right for humans. Even in poorer continents. Oh sure I understand why it happens, but still. This is not right.

Or they'll be going at it like rabbits whenever they get the chance.

Oy.

It gets worse. Today's papers are filled with the story that the father of the child could be one of up to eight similarly aged boys.

I'll try and the story, but it's just shocking.

No $***? This just keeps getting better and better.

Words cannot express the weirdness of this situation. The kid looks like a 9-year old, when i'm actually only one year older than him. :hurk:

Wierdness doesn't even begin to describe this...Faux Pas is a more adequate starting point I'd say--and even that doesn't do it justice.

What next, bears chugging cheap vodka on street corners and lighting joints in our hot tubs while we're gone?!:confused:

Oh wait that is already happening sort of. I guess this world is on its way to hell in a handbasket.

It's in the paper this morning that he wants a DNA test. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't his kid, the mother is 15 and although young has probably had other Partners. I'd be surprised if this boy really knows if he even finished the job for lack of a better phrase.

It's in the paper this morning that he wants a DNA test. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't his kid, the mother is 15 and although young has probably had other Partners. I'd be surprised if this boy really knows if he even finished the job for lack of a better phrase.

Quoted for emphasis and truth. Good point as well adamqd. Now that I'm over the initial shock, that is a piece that doesn't add up about this whole thing. :confused::confused::confused:

...Jae, you are a doctor, so then, what expertise have you on this matter?

Still, even if he has no idea what he's getting into, good on him for not running away at the chance to not be a dad. He stuck his doodle in her hoo-ha and babies are a consequence of that. Whether or not he's prepared, at least he's manning up to it. It'd rather he do that than act like a twat and not accept responsibility.

Archived