Home

11th September 2001

leXX

2.jpg

Yes, tommorow is the 2nd anniversary of the World Trade Center and Pentagon disaster.

Now, I don't want this to be a flame fest about that day, I just want to know what you remember about it, where you were at the time etc.

I was on my PC when I had a phonecall from my mum. She told me to switch to BBC1 immediately because a plane just flew into one of the World Trade Center buildings. Now, I thought she meant a little single seater plane. I switched channel and saw a jumbo crash into one of the towers. I was in total disbelief. OMG, all those poor people who had just started their day at work were now dead.

I carried on watching, eyes glued to the TV. A second jumbo flew straight into the second building and there was a huge explosion. The smoke was billowing from both towers. I was in complete and utter shock. This was live, this was happening at this very moment. I had just witnessed the deaths of hundreds of people. The tears welled up in my eyes and my throat was sore.

It dawned on me that this was HUGE. This was the start of something big. This was history in the making.

An eye-witness was interviewed and he spoke of how he saw people jumping from towers. He was distraught. The horror of that image in my mind made me burst into tears.

The time passed slowly and chaos ensued. Airports were shut down. People were panicing. The pictures were floading in. Then suddenly, right before my eyes, the first tower collapsed. This just couldn't be happening. It isn't real. The smoke engulfed everything in sight. People ran for their lives so not to suffocate. We hear how the emergency services were under the building and were now dead. We hear that not everyone had been evacuated in time. I had just watched hundreds more people die.

The second tower collapses. New York is one big smoke cloud and piles of rubble and bodies.

8.jpg

This disaster affected my family personally. My husband worked for Enron at the time. Just before christmas, he lost his job. A result of the fall of Enron, helped along by the distruction of Enron's head office which was located on the top of one of the towers. My husband knew a lot of the Enron employes who died. It was a hard time for us, especially just before christmas, but we pulled through it and came out rosey on the other side. He got a better job with better pay thankfully.

I will never ever forget that day.

Wow, the time creeps up on you. My first reaction was to re-enlist. Alot of people who were close to me, talked me out of it, and looking back, it would not have accomplished anything really.

Hopefully soon, however, we will just declare this a National Holliday in remembrance, and not spend so much time dwelling in the sorrow, or re-living the sob stories. All the cries of the world cannot bring back lost loved ones. Hopefully, we live, learn and treat this as a tender moment without re-opening old wounds year after year.

i was on my way home from work and heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the WTC, i too thought it meant a private plane or a small aircraft.

soon as i got home i put on the T.V and saw what was happening. ten minutes later the second plane crashed.

it was truly shocking, especially watching them come down.

even more so as i was in new work about a month before all this happened and had visited the WTC. i remember how amazing the buildings were and as i watched i could almost imagine how truly terrifying it would be to be there as they collapsed.

I was leaving work that morning to go home. It was 6:30am PST. one of the guys said he had just talked to his wife and she said some one had ran a plane into the Empire state building.. We were all, STFU. no way. It took me about 10 minutes to get home and turn on the TV.

Well he was right although it wasn't the ESB. I watched every channel and can remember a guy from CNN talking and as he was going on you could see plane #2 in the back ground come into veiw.

I ran up stairs and woke up the wife and told her what was going on. I sat in front of the TV for what seemed like hours as the showed them burning and then collapsing.

It's something I will never forget.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER. :(

I was at school, at 4th period. the principal came on the intercom. He announced what happened, and suggested the teachers turn on the TV, and let us see what was going on. We watched it til the end of the day (4th period was the last period). I am saddened by the loss of those great poeple. May they rest in peace.

I was at school and I got called down to the office fore early dismissal. I see my dad there and I ask him "Where are we going?" He response we are at war (at the time the 2nd plane already had made impact) so I think he's joking becuase he makes up outrages war stories just to make me and bro luagh. Yet when I get in the back seat of my Ford Explorer the first thing from the radio I heard is "The World Trade Center has Just been hit by 2 airline planes." When I got home I turned on Fox and there it was the fall of the World Trade Center, yet soon after about an hour or so after the cloud wasn't as bad... The rise of New York. It had such an affect it had on me, being a New Yorker all my life, I didn't feel as I normally did. I thank God for the president, I thank God for Mayor Gunially (Can't remember spelling). And then As I stood up late watching Fox a year or so later. Payback for what those bastards did came. I got this from a patriotic commercial I see sometimes yet I say to myself They wanted to change the world well they did.

I was in the city playing some card games.

When it was time to go home, I got a ride with one of my friends who were there as well. His mom, told us what had happened.

The rest of the day wen extremely slow and wierd. I remember I was feeling all wierd and empty inside, even though I've never been there in my life.

It was prolly the wierdest day of all in my life.

-Clemme

I was working at the time. Everyone was talking about it, but I thought in the back of my mind it couldn't be for real, it was just too "big" a thing to happen. Then my Dad comes into the shop I worked in and told me. I finished at 2 p.m. and went home.

Then I sat in silence for a good few hours. :(

Since I live on the west coast, It was 3 ours earliar here.

I had woken up, late as usual, scrambled to get ready for school, and gopt out the door. When my mom got in the car the radio was on. I heard somthing about terrorists and then my mom turned the radio off. She never heard it. When I got to school, the entire day was just listening to the radio or to the news or somwething like that. It was insane.

R.I.P.

i live in germany and visited a friend after work.. it took hours til he opened the door and i wondered why.. then he opened and told me "there was just a plane crashing into the wtc.. " i said "nah.. never.. what do you mean? what plane???" .. i thought it was a little one man plane or some.. but then, we just had sit down to watch on the news, came the second plane crashing in.. awful pictures followed the whole evening and night .. :(

and this monday was a discussion in tv where some guys said it all has to be a big consipracy thing.. like they changed the planes in the air and those which crashed were remote controlled and so on.. :rolleyes: they even wrote a whole book about it..

does anyone heard of these "conspiracy theories" too?

being on sick leave at the time, i woke up early that morning, went out in my PJ's and bathrobe, turned on TV to see the south tower i think with smoke issuing out of it. (i completely forgot the earlier bombing incident) i looked and thought immediately terrorism. the news peeps of cource were flummoxed trying to make it sound like an accident. i knew planes dont do that, not on aclear blue sky day. well minutes of worried news banter later another plnae strikes and thi\s time i am awake, fully awake to see it real time. no and earlier we give you. EVEN then the horror was forcing the news anchors to go accident terrible accident, I mean come on lightning does not hit twice. and 15 minutes later the Pentagon, and then the other plane, finally they have to come to grips with the reality of what really happened. I sat by my TV all day or a good part of it. i watched the buildings fall. [the only thing i have to say for the news peeps i was watching is i di feel sorry for them] both had just joined the show Canada AM it is supposed to be a light and fun morning show and yet the first real thing they have to cover wa 911. the next day and for a week after the woman anchor of the pair had to go into new york city and cover the story live.

anyhow since the idea of the thread is to state where you were, and not go crazy disin and flaming that is where i was .

what and how i felt then, and now is another story.

if you want to email or PM me or messenger, then thats a diff story. but really i dont think i am going to go too into how the mind of an eggplant thinks. it could be hazardous to your health.

http://www.theotherseptember11chile1973.net

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, or even make a point beyond the fact that just because the media shoves something down your throat, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened before.

The attacks on the World Trade Centre were of course a tragedy, what would be more of a tragedy is not learning from them. A very sincere R.I.P to everyone who has died on this day in past years. I hope I have in some way broadened your views, stay safe and happy people.

That day was a pretty scary one. The day it happened, my mom boarded an airplane going to Georgia to visit her sister, and i was on my way to English class. I heard what happened over the radio and though "Oh no biggy, some idiot probly just lost control over his airplane" but then i heard abruptly that a second hit a tower and they annoused that they were Passenger airplanes. The first thing i did when i got home that day was give a call to my mom and see if she was alright. Thankfully, she was.

now I will never forget Sep 11

oh and its 12 days away from my B-Day, but thats just trivial compared to what happened;)

I remember watching it all on the news. I went to school later after it happend and noone would let the arab kids into the school. So I stayed outside with my friends mohammed and abdul. then we went back home just watched the news and that was that. to me it was a horrible thing not only because people had died but because people immediately started outcasting the arab community. my friends dad owns a store and it got egged and all sorts of stuff thrown at it. also a psychopath went around and shot 9 arab store owners killing 7 or them and injuring the 2 others. I don't really worry much about it now. It's in the past sure it's tragic but, worse things have happend, (eg. Hiroshima, etc.)

But I do feel sad for the people who died especially the little kids they had found dead from suffocation.:( 5 year old kids just shouldn't die a slow, agonizing death, no kid should.:(

Originally posted by BigMexican

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, or even make a point beyond the fact that just because the media shoves something down your throat, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened before.

The attacks on the World Trade Centre were of course a tragedy, what would be more of a tragedy is not learning from them. A very sincere R.I.P to everyone who has died on this day in past years. I hope I have in some way broadened your views, stay safe and happy people.

I remember my Opa telling me about that. He had just retired from the Marine corp. and he had heard word from many of his friends that had moved on into the CIA that they had gone to help "stop" the Chilean revolts. Of course he knew they meant to kill many of the revolutionists. when he told me I cried. I have seen some pictures of what they did to the babies and little kids.

Originally posted by BigMexican

Well you also must remeber last time something like this happened we're never born or to young to remember. When this happened we were more aware.

I had just got my American History booked issued that day. My friend was at home because it was her BDay, and I was waiting outside of my 2nd hour Biology class waiting for the teacher because she had been in the teachers lounge, not having an 1st hour. She came to the door and I said 'Better late than never'. She apologized and her EXACT words were 'Theres been some kind of terrorist thing in New York'. She wasn't distraught, as I'm sure she had JUST found out about it. And instead of learning the basic principles of what makes something a living organism, we watched ABC news the whole hour. Then I go to 3rd hour. I'm sittin there with some friends and we're making jokes about everything (I mean everything, the towers included). Thats when I decided to go 'Impression of Dubyah: "Daddy, Daddy! WHATDOIDO?!?!" SeniorBush: "Hehe, you're screwed son!". That came back and bit me in the ass as everyone decided to make Dubyah a damn champion of freedom that day. And to think, I had the distinct impression that that day would be the day I got to blast the ignorant people in my Debate class about the stupidity of our Principle...what a trip.

I was in Mexico, right before we were dismissed from school, the segundaria teacher said "Terroristas an attacado los Torres Gemelas" I was like what? What are the Twin Towers? My brother did know what it was and he told my dad, we got home turned on the T.V., I just kind of stared at it, but strangely, I felt no remorse or sadness, and I just kind of looked at it a bit and started going back to normal stuff. (Please don't flame me for this.) A year or so later, I realized what happened, and I just thought about it a bit, I felt sad for about 15 minutes and went back to normal life. I don't really know, but it seems really strange that I was like this.

Archived