Home

Sports you do

The Architect

Sorry about this long post, but lets talk about something which I guiltily confess I assume that most of you forum members probably don’t do, or frown upon. Sport.

Nah, just joking. :lol: However, I do assume (and I could very well be wrong) that the vast majority of you LF members are your stereotypical nerds and/or geeks who are into Star Wars a lot, are into computer games and all the well, nerdy stuff. No offence or anything. I have nothing against nerds and/or geeks anyway.

As long as people are nice and do what is morally right, I have no quarrel with what people are into. I myself am a closet nerd/geek. :lol: Apart from my closest family members and a select few mates of mine, most people who I know and respect have no idea that I’m a closet Star Wars, KotOR, TSL fan who loves movies, writing fan fics from time to time, talking with you folks on this forum and Obz and LA and enjoy playing Xbox 360 games. But I don’t do the nerdy and geeky stuff as much as what I assume most of youse do, only because they aren’t my only hobbies.

Most people who know me just think I’m a polite toy-boy sports jock/fan and that’s it. I guess you could say I have a split personality disorder or something. :lol: I shouldn’t hide my closet nerdness and geekness from people though.

I’m sure sometimes people raise an eyebrow with some of the things I say though. I say I shouldn’t hide it since we unfortunately (I say that because I have done so myself back in the day but realise it’s wrong), but truthfully, live in a society where most people are judged by their looks, so luckily for me, I could probably get away with it! I don’t think I’ll put the theory to test though. :lol:

So, what sports do you do? When I was a kid, I use to play Aussie Rules Football. Then I changed to soccer, which is my favourite sport and the sport I was best at. My username ‘The Architect’ refers to a term sometimes used in soccer for ‘playmakers’ behind set piece and non set piece goals. I was considered as the ‘playmaker’ or ‘Architect’, the Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan) of my team you could say.

Whilst soccer was my outer school sport as a youngling until two years ago, I enjoyed playing cricket at school. Although I could never take after my Dad, who although I never saw play cricket, was apparently a brilliant cricket player, mainly because of his bowling. He was good enough to almost make the State team apparently, but he didn’t make it. But come on! It’s not like anyone can just make the one-day WA Cricket team!

I don’t play soccer anymore. Why? Because two years ago, I discovered I have a rare medical condition that you could say is worse than being a haemophiliac or the next thing up from it. Soccer was a sport that was considered by my GP as too dangerous for me to play, so I had to give it up. :firemad:

As you could imagine, I was disappointed, but I moved on. I still played soccer related haki games and kicked the ball around at school and do to this day but not at school anymore since I’ve finished school, but I play no more games.

But that’s where I developed an interest in pool and from time to time, darts. I’m pretty good at pool too. More recently, I’ve been doing weights and running every now and again, and sometimes swimming, but I’m by no means a strong swimmer.

Beach cricket is something I did do every now and again and is fun. Still, I don’t do as much exercise as what I used to, since after I graduated from high school, I’ve become lazy, and enjoyed my lazy break which has consisted mainly of watching movies, playing 360 games, chatting on this forum, Obz and LA and seeing me best mates every now and again and doing stuff.

Recently, I’ve taken up an interest in golf. Although I suck at it, I’m a newcomer, and I’m slowly improving. So the sports I do, voluntarily, not competitively, are weights, running (not so much though), pool, golf and darts.

I love watching and following me soccer, AFL and cricket so I do that, but watching a sport is not playing a sport. So how about you fellow forum members? What sports do youse do, if you do any sports that is?

Once again, sorry about the long post.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a tennis court when I was growing up so I used to play tennis a lot. I have some knee conditions that prevent me from playing things where I have to quickly move my legs like that now. :(

I still play badminton and pool whenever I can. :)

Is juggling a sport yet? Because I juggle like a mother.

Oh, I also throw knives!

More or less casual Ultimate Frisbee, and I'm on the Formula SAE Racecar building team. Basically we design and build a formula 1 style racecar from scratch every year with little money. I also autocross my car, but other than that, i can be made to run on occasion.

Oh yea....completely forgot about winter sports. I ski.... a lot. Have the injuries to prove it.

I play football and basketball on my high schools teams. I'm better at football but I enjoy basketball more. I played Defensive End and Offensive line for football, and I play forward or center in basketball.

Freshman year I played baseball but I was terrible so that was the end of that.

BAH! Organized sports are tame. My personal favorite things to do are Whitewater Kayaking and Whitewater raft guiding. There are few things that are that amazingly fun to do. Good physical sports without the constant threat of serious joint damage. (unless you have weak shoulders)

One of the greatest feelings in the world is to catch a nice standing wave in your kayak and just sit in it while the river flows past you. Makes you feel like you're moving a hundred miles an hour even though you're sitting still. If you wanna see someone river surfing, check out this clip This guy taught me how to kayak and is a bloody brilliant kayaker. He used to compete proffessionaly and at his height, was in the top ten in the nation for freestyle.

Best. Sport. Ever.

I fence, specializing in sabre.

That's what I always wanted to do, saber fencing. It's sad I could never bring myself to actually do it.

Anyway, I'm not that much into sports. I used to play tennis, but stopped a year ago, also I was (and still am I guess) fairly good at 60 meter sprint and longjump. I also played table tennis, but I stopped doing that as well, dunno why.

At the moment I don't do anything except some light weights.

Fencing is a bit difficult to get into, especially with all the footwork they make you go through at the start. But if you stick with it and get through all the rigors and training, it's worth it. And sabre is just so much fun. It's fast and flashy and is a lot more exciting than the other two disciplines, epee and foil. But then again, that's just a sabreist's bias.

Never knew until about 3 years ago that one of the big reasons I suck at sport (besides ample size) was exercise-induced asthma. First time I took an inhaler for taekwondo class I got half way through the class and told one of my classmates 'I didn't know it was this easy to breathe during exercise!' :)

Needless to say, I'm not a sporty person. I do taekwondo (made 1st Dan last summer after about 4 years of work). My knee and back are giving me fits right now so I have to take a sabbatical til those heal better. I also do water aerobics. I have an exercise bike at home that sees more use as a spot for Jimbo to hang his bathrobe than it does for actual exercising, but I do use it now and then.

I've done a little fencing/rapier in our history re-enactment group, which is a lot of fun but as a newbie to the activity, I'm terrible at it so I get 'killed' a lot. :)

Oh, Niner--you might find this one a bit funny--there was a group of about 20 of us who'd get together at our friend Ericus' house for foil lessons. There were 2 of us girls who started about the same time, and Ericus hosted a little 'tourney' one day for the whole group about 2 months or so after we girls had started. One of the guys who'd been studying with Ericus about 2 years and was a bit of a joker decided to mess with the other girl by tapping his foil back and forth on either side of her foil. Fortunately we were all friends so he could get away with this. :D She got all flustered by the tapping after he did it about 20 times. She told him "Don't mess with my blade!", got more flustered and distracted when he kept doing it, and he took her out in one shot when he had riled her up enough that she didn't make a good block. Sure enough, he tried to do the same to me, so I stood there and timed the taps back and forth for about 4 or 5 cycles, and when he made the move to tap the outside of my blade, I slid my foil right down his and nailed him. I grinned at him and said "Don't mess with my blade." He grinned back and said "I guess not!" :D Of course I lost the next round--the guy I went up against had done fencing in college and was really good. I was so out of control trying just to keep up with his speed and not get hit that I started laughing mid-way through the bout because I knew I just had to look ridiculous--I had a mental image of a martial artist hero's flailing arms in a really cheesy B-movie go through my head then. My opponent thought the laughing was hysterical and almost lost control himself, but he managed to hold on til he nailed me, then took off his mask and laughed. He thought it was great that I was having such a good time. The rest of the group decided that if there were points given for most entertaining fencer, I would have won them. :D

Hehe, we're all Geeks in whatever we're good at...

I play Football (soccer if your american which I assume alot of you are), Squash, Tennis, Table Tennis and go Running. And I'm just about to take up Krav Maga which is the Martial Art the Isreali defence forces use (I want to join the Police and go into conter terrorism work when I finish uni)

I'm not a stereotypical geek... I was the golden boy of the PE (Physical Education e.g. Sports) Department, and am the only Pupil to have ever played for the staff football team :D Technically speaking if you classify me in American terms I suppose I am a jock, although I never bullied anyone and when at school I was generally friends with everyone, from, Nerds, Geeks, 'the cool' ones, other Jocks, the good looking girls and the asian crew. But as I said above to be good at anything you have to be a geek at it as you have to spend ages doing it... So I'm amazing at football (soccer) but thats only cause as a kid I used to spend 5 or 6 hours a day either playing in matches or practicing.

Sorry to hear about your condition Architect that sucks dude! Which 'soccer' (I hate that word!) team do you support? I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan myself, dunno if you've heard of them though, we're pretty good, finished 6th in all of England last Premiership season.

I was a member of the National Academic League, and a member on the Academic Decathalon. Both are sports, since they are competitive games where you can gain medals for playing. What are sports other than competitive games where you play against others and which people really care about?

I also play in the Model UN, especially during conventions where you recieve awards for being the best delegate. So I see that as a sport.

So, yeah, I consider all three of them to be Sports. Call me a geek if you will. :)

I’ve played baseball since I was old enough to pick up a bat. I played football and baseball in high school. In college I played intramural flag football, tennis, softball, volleyball, soccer and basketball.

Not great at anything (with the possible exception of volleyball, but there is not any organized men’s volleyball teams around here), but I’m average in most all of them. Still play softball on a church team and golf when I get pressured into it by friends (hate the idea of chasing a little ball around and then hitting it with a stick). Terrible at golf, but the beer is cold. I’d also like to get into rock climbing, but there is nothing to climb around here.

I played a lot of soccer when I was young and also played competative (ice) hockey until I was in high school. In junior high school I started playing basketball and have been playing ever since. I've played varsity in high school and university, and currently play for a club team in leagues that are ex-uni guys....

Archived