Home

Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes

Char Ell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gungans... worst race idea. Ever.

That would seem true, yes, until one catches a glimpse of the EU. Nothing screams "idiocy" louder than giant, floating, force-sensitive sperm.* :dozey:

The EU will always find a way to trump the films in the "stupid" category.

*Except for maybe the Vong.

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed that the cartoon Anakin resembles Jake Lloyd more than Hayden Christiansen? I smell yet another awkward retcon in the making.

^ Actually, the parallel is between the Ewoks from RotJ with the Gungans, from TPM.
Except that the Ewoks were actually capable in their own way. None of them slapsticked their way to victory, nor undermined everyone else's efforts.

On-Topic: Damn, this is going to have the girl padawan in it, isn't it. UGH.

Remember when they used to make Jedi Knight, Tie Fighter, and KOTOR? That was awesome.

Except that the Ewoks were actually capable in their own way. None of them slapsticked their way to victory, nor undermined everyone else's efforts.

They did have a couple of cool rope and log tricks, yes. They weren't nearly as bad as the Gungans, but they were the first signs that all was not well in Lucasland.

Remember when they used to make Jedi Knight, Tie Fighter, and KOTOR? That was awesome.

Rhett expressed a very similar sentiment, and I agree with it. But the game might end up being surprisingly good. It's possible, if improbable.

^ Actually, the parallel is between the Ewoks from RotJ with the Gungans, from TPM.

In retrospect, I was being a little vague. What I meant was that ROTJ would have a LOT better had they replaced Ewoks on Endor with Wookies on Kashyyyk.

The Gungans. The Gungans could have worked, if they had been a little less goofy and acted more like Boss Nass kept describing them (belligerent warriors). When you think about it, that's one of the only two purposes the Gungans as a whole serve in the movie. They 1. Progress Obi and Qui Gon to Theed, and 2. Fight the Droids in the climactic battle at the end. So why were they put out as being the crackheads of Naboo? It didn't make any damn sense they don't fit their roles in the least.

In retrospect, I was being a little vague. What I meant was that ROTJ would have a LOT better had they replaced Ewoks on Endor with Wookies on Kashyyyk.

My bad. But then, I agree with you. As always, the conception, of a inferior force struggling to resist a superior one, was fine in theory, but wasn't brilliantly executed. Especially by the unfortunate choice of race.

Plus, we'd see a Han Solo actually being funny and back at his careless attitude of the other two movies, since he's familiar with the Wookies and wouldn't have to hover around the Ewoks, thinking of them as oversized teddy bears.

The Phantom Menace was actually pretty good, then they had Attack of the Clones and everything went south.

I honestly disagree with people who say that SWTOR has too much Clone Wars aspects to it. If anything, it's the perfect artistic blend with Prequel art and KOTOR art. And these Troopers ain't clones, so it's no problem.

And there have been some good Clone Wars games: Republic Commando for example. Unfortunately it was way too sort....

The Phantom Menace was actually pretty good, then they had Attack of the Clones and everything went south.

Attack of the Clones did indeed bring the Star Wars trilogy down, but I think The Phantom Menace might've helped...

For instance, my opinion of SW was lost when Anakin said, "YIPPEE!" :D

EDIT: ^ Yeah, agreed. Doing something with KOTOR would be a great start. Or Xwing, or Battlefront, or Jedi Knight. Seriously, George needs to go get Luke. Luke can help.

Yeah gotta agree with CommanderQ. While there are things I liked about TPM, it certainly wasn't a strong start for the trilogy. At least some of the characters were better. Maul was the best villain in the prequels by a good margin. Neeson did a halfway decent job as Qui-Gon. Obi Wan was at his most tolerable (he had a noticeably smaller role in TPM, so he didn't get a chance to spew lame dialogue in an awkward fashion). The podrace was fun, the final duel was epic. Yeah, it wasn't all bad, most of it was, but it had it's moments.

And AOTC. Episode II introduced/expanded some things that made for good EU content (the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order, Coruscant, Jango), but the movie itself was slightly agonizing. Example: this chump who's going to become the biggest evilist badass in the galaxy sits around for the half the movie crying and throwing tantrums. I mean ten years ago I would never have predicted that I would ever say that Darth Vader, in any point in his life, was a complete emotional train-wreck. Now I thought most of the characters were flawed in that movie, but none of them are as noticeably lame as Darth Crybaby.

*crosses arms* Don't care about the movies, they're all done and are in the past. I want better vidya from LA.

Well, as long as they avoid romantic plots, childish antics, or dialogue containing, "YIPPEE," they should be just fine:D

@cire992: Agreed, Maul and Jango=Awesomeness. The whiny Dark Lord and the emotionally crashed Anakin were one of the things that probably brought that part of the trilogy down....so much so that in Revenge of the Sith, you're almost happy Anakin caught on fire:D

I'm being optimistic about The Clone Wars Republic Heroes. Sure, the past clone wars video games may have been terrible, but this one has caught my eye because LucasArts is releasing this for PC. And they rarely do that these days. So, it has a 50/50 with me.

I honestly disagree with people who say that SWTOR has too much Clone Wars aspects to it. If anything, it's the perfect artistic blend with Prequel art and KOTOR art. And these Troopers ain't clones, so it's no problem.

I completely agree with you. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

And there have been some good Clone Wars games: Republic Commando for example. Unfortunately it was way too sort....

Yes but we are talking a different Clone Wars... in 2002, when AOTC had been released, Dark Horse, Del-ray and Lucasarts got to work on the Clone Wars Comics, Novels and games, and it was GOOD! the "Republic" Comic lines headed by artist Jan Duursema, perfectly portrayed the 3 year Struggle, it was dark and edgy with awesome artwork and cohesion between mediums... Republic Commando was further use of this thinking. Then after ROTS came out George decided to reboot the Clone Wars again, as Saturday morning TV for 3 year olds. It's not the same imo :)

Archived